Accent Walls

Lets talk about accent walls~
maybe you have heard them called feature walls.
Adding a wallpaper to just one wall, 
or using a different color paint on just one wall
is a good way to create drama and interest to a room.
The nice thing about having an accent wall is how simple it 
would be to change it back once the style 
faded or you grew tired of the drama.
All you have to do is deal with one wall, right?
It is not a big risk in decorating, but it gives big results.
This bedroom has a scrap-wood wallpaper 
from the Netherlands
applied to the wall behind the bed.
This is an accent wall made from real wood from wood pallets.
I am seeing a lot of distressed old wood boards
applied to walls lately.
It would be easier to paper in my opinion...
and easier to remove.
Does anyone have a home with a room done 
in fake paneling that was popular in the '70s?
 My parents, also big DIYers, added one to our home 
and I have no doubt it has been ripped out by now.
An accent wall in a tremendously
 popular geometric pattern.
 I think the bold geometric is going to
 be the trend that bites the dust quicker
than anything I have seen in the last couple of years.
The great thing about using it as an accent though, is you can 
have your cake and eat it too~
and this wall can be changed as quickly as a trend.
This brick wall is a great accent wall~
one that came with the house, no doubt!
This is my idea of a fabulous feature that
 has been utilized to its full potential!
Whenever I see rustic meet refined, I fall in love.
This is the perfect place for an accent wall~
an entry wall that needs some definition.
A modern geometric stencil in sophisticated colors
takes this from traditional to chic very quickly!
I used a damask stencil and created an accent only on the wall
space that is between my two living room windows.
I wanted it to be a subtle accent around the mirror
to add a little more interest without being too bossy.
Speaking of bossy!
This wallpaper mural of sepia toned roses totally is just that.
It has a vintage quality in a modern
 photo concept that I find appealing.
However I think it would be great for a bedroom~
not in a living room.
I recently added an accent wall to my dining room.
Click here to see how  I applied this paper.
I will admit I was not a big fan of bold accent walls~
but ended up trying it out on the wall behind the big mirror.
A pretty damask paper in aqua and gold 
from Lowes (yes, Lowes)...at a cost of $35
covers 56 square feet, or 5 feet of wall space
 with 9 foot ceilings.  In my case
since I was only doing a half wall, I got twice the coverage.
It yielded big results, but in a tasteful way.
The room before the paper was added...
The room after the paper~
Maybe you will become an accent wall convert too!


No comments:

Post a Comment