Waxing the Mora Clock

I added the wax finish to the Mora clock in my living room.
Actually I added clear and dark waxes to it and it does make a
difference in how the clock looks~so check it out.
 This is the finish that the Mora wall clock comes in~
a nice looking distressed dark taupey color. But for me,
I wanted a light and airy Mora, in blue.
So I painted it with Annie Sloan Louis Blue and Old White for the details.
Yup, right on the floor with a sheet under it....
and hung it back up in short order!
 Then it looked like this, very pale, but almost vaporous~
the waxing was yet to come.
This is when the wax does its extraordinary thing....
the details of the furniture or in this case the clock, 
comes alive and the appearance of age is added to give it vintage appeal.
 As you can see you can wax anywhere~as I often do,
 I clear a spot and plop and paint or wax...
Tobey has seen this many times before and still 
seems wants to watch me in action~it never gets old! 
 I used the dark Hannants wax that I got from Annie Sloan 
but is now sold as Annie Sloan Dark Wax, and 
I used Minwax Paste Finishing Wax in clear 
with my big fat luxurious Annie Sloan wax brush.
 The first order of business was to apply the clear wax 
over the clock in big sections at a time. Getting the 
wax on the brush and then rubbing it into the surface of the clock.
 After I did the top half of the clock I rubbed off any excess
 wax with a soft cloth and the did the same to the bottom of the clock. 
 The next step I did was to take the dark wax with a different brush 
(have a dedicated brush for each wax type) and apply it right 
away over the clear wax in areas that I want to look a little worn 
or handled. I just smear it on it small areas like the edges. 
This is before I start brushing it in so it gets all smudgey
 and worked in so its not bold and spotty looking.
 A brush of dark wax here~
 And a few smidges there~
 And then all brushed in. I did the edges and around the face 
of the clock and up near the top. I wanted to maintain the lightness
 of the piece so I just used a whisper of dark wax, 
but you can add more if you like.
After the wax dries in about two days you can buff it
to create a sheen, however you don't have to do this step.
 Back up on the wall, can you tell the difference that the wax made? 
Look at the before and see if you can~
Before the waxing it looked pristine, right?
Afterwards it looks like it came straight from the antique shop!



 To purchase a Mora clock go to my online store
www.shopmaisondecor.com
Did you know I sell these clocks now? 
 I always loved seeing these clocks in magazines 
and lovely homes with the french/swedish cottage style
I gravitate towards, so I decided I would sell them 
to those that feel the same way.  Tomorrow 
I will show you how one of my readers ordered a Mora clock
and asked for it to be painted in Paris Grey!
Oh, and I am still working on my bathroom, but I had to take 
a break when I went off the the Annie Sloan workshop, 
but it is looking pretty darn cool and that should be up next week.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment