Spray painting a chandy in place!

 Part of the bathroom makeover included changing the color of the pair of chandeliers I 
just painted blue last year.  I had no intention of asking Mr. Maison Decor to take them
down so I could spray them and then hang them back up...so whats a girl to do?
Spray paint in place! Even this idea was a first for me. But here is how I did it, and it was easy.
 I covered everything up with my painters sheet and 
then used a big plastic bag that is normally used for 
transporting draperies to my clients as a
 little bubble around the chandy to catch the spray.
 I used the painters tape to hold the plastic in place. 
 You could use a dry cleaning bag for this~
After unscrewing the bulbs and and taking off the
 candle covers I taped over the electrical part.
I wanted a traditional gilt chandelier look like this one on Etsy below~
Here is one priced at $595~ you can have it!
My $60 version from overstock with a little gold paint works for me.
I plan to add a little dark wax to age it up a bit 
after they dry so they will look like they have been around 80 years.
 Quick spurts of spray with Rustoleum Gold and it dried almost instantly. 
 Open your windows and turn on the fan~you will need
 to ventilate the space if you try this. After spraying one side, 
I rotated the chandy on the swag hook to the other side and
 then sprayed that side.  I left bits of the blue showing through, 
but you could cover it completely in the color 
you are going to spray with .
My bathroom is going gold pink and brown~so gold it is!
 One all done, the next one will be done in just a few minutes! 
 This is super easy!
 I was kind of afraid I would spray the 
wall or the ceiling~but that didn't happen. 
 You can see a peek of the vanity in progress so far~
I have ordered some neat hardware
and plan to wax the cabinets in both dark and clear.
The vanity will be a variation of the closet doors I just finished. 
You can read about those here.
 Its pretty frenchy~I will be careful to make
 sure my bathroom is not too Liberace-ish!
Gold is like pink, you don't want to use too much~
so when you use both you need a big dose of a stabilizer color
like chocolate brown or taupe.
Gold fell out of favor for silvers in recent years, 
although it has always has been a classic.
I am seeing gold being used more lately,
 have you noticed that too?
 I'll be madly working on the bathroom trying to
get all the pieces of the puzzle in place.
 Hope to be sharing more very soon~~
but until then these golden chandies will have to suffice.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment